Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Your Nail Polish

A while ago I read a book called "You Being Beautiful" by Dr. Oz and when he talked about nails I got a bit spooked. In this book he explains how harmful nail polish can be and that it is the most toxic cosmetic on the market {all of this while I looked at my pinkish nail polish}.

The problem with nail polish is the chemicals it is made with, like chemical solvents {toluene}, formaldehyde, phtalates {a plasticizer}, and acetone {helps to keep it liquid}. Also, the color can come from iron oxides that can get absorbed by the nail and skin. All these ingredients are toxic to the nervous and endocrine systems, fill the air with toxins that can affect your respiratory system, and are known to be carcinogens.

So, what a does one do? The best thing is that when you get your nails done look for a place that is well ventilated, try to change your nail polish the least amount of times possible, schedule a time when you can let them be unpolished so the skin under the nail and cuticle can breath, if possible touch up instead of going for a new pedicure, and finally... moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

As for those nail polishes that say they are non-toxic or natural... well, not all of them are because they might contain formaldehyde or something like it with another name {check this ARTICLE or this ARTICLE for more chemical info}. So, if you buy those pretty expensive bottles make sure you are really getting your money's worth.

Have a great Thursday and stay healthy my dears!